Surroundings

THE JEWELRY BOX OF WESTERN HUNGARY

Kőszeg is one of the most beautiful towns in Hungary, located along the Austrian border, in the valley of the Gyöngyös-stream. In the city center, which has been declared a national heritage, we can find an untouched medieval atmosphere. Exciting cultural life, plenty of events, and historical walks await the visitors.

Located in a wonderful natural environment, Kőszeg and its surroundings offer plenty of opportunities for hiking, whether on foot, by bicycle or on horseback, making it one of the favorite destinations for hiking lovers. We can also admire the beauty of the town from the top of Kőszeg-Mountains. 

 

Jurisics-castle:

Distance from the hotel: 450 m

The history of Kőszeg Castle dates back to 802, when it was first mentioned in Einhard's chronicle. The oldest parts of the lower castle were built in the 13th century, originally in gothic style. During subsequent enlargements of the inner castle, renaissance and baroque style features also appeared. Over the centuries it had many owners, among others the Anjou king Carlo Roberto, the Habsburgs, King Mathias Corvinus. Its best-known siege was in 1532, lost against the army of Suleiman Sultan. After the siege King Ferdinand Habsburg gave the castle to Miklós Jurisics, castle captain, for his heroic bravery. These days there is a statue of Jurisics in the courtyard, and in Kőszeg every day at 11 o'clock the bell reminds us of the retreat of the enemy.
 


Heroes’ tower:

Distance from the hotel: 130 m

Originally, the Lower Gate Tower stood on the site of the gate, but it was demolished in 1880. The old tower was one of the most important objects of the city defense system, as the tower musicians lived there. Since 1977 a museum operates in the tower. From the top floor you can access the outer panoramic corridor of the tower. On major holidays musicians play tower music also these days.

 


Jesus’ heart church:

Distance from the hotel: 450 m

Construction of the church began in 1892, according to the plans of Ludwig Schöne. The tower of the neogothic building, with its 57 meters, is the highest structure in the city. The multi-colored interior painting and the glass windows of the sanctuary are especially beautiful.
 


Mary statue:

Distance from the hotel: 140 m

The statue was erected in 1739, in times of the contra-reformation, as a symbol of Maria-cult. Originally, there were three side figures next to Mary: St. Anne, St. Joachim, and St. Joseph, but these were removed in 1912. At that time, the original statue was also replaced, and was restored in 1977. As an expression of gratitude for the epidemy that avoided the city a musical liturgy is held in front of the statue on every Feast of the Assumption of Mary.

Benedict Hotel Kőszeg
Daily rate with breakfast
Benedict Hotel Kőszeg

We await our guests with a rich and varied buffet breakfast in the heart of the historic city center!

í
FROM

€36.00

/ PERSON / NIGHT Read more Best price guarantee
Learn more
Details
*  Accommodation in the choosen roomtype
*  Hearty breakfast
*  Wifi
*  VAT
Book now

Best price guarantee

Did you find a better price in another website?

Click here